Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stuck in traffic

Well I guess no commute to or from work can ever be completely traffic free, no matter where you live. And so it was that on the journey home this evening we got stuck behind a slow moving middle lane hog!!


While sat there I got looking at the ships plans on the wall and it would appear that the ferry I travel on each day is symetrical, with a propeller at both ends and both ends pointy.



Now this got me thinking....if both ends are the same which is the bow and which the stern.....and which way does one look to deferentiate between port and starboard? My god, how does the captain maintain proper naval decorem on the bridge!!! And if such things are out of control what will become of the standards and rules that have governed the waves and the empire for generations??!!

I shall have to write to the lord admiralty to inform him and hope he has the strength of characture and sense of duty to do the right thing...yes I mean the ultimate sanction.....send out the navy to give one up 'em!!! Cos they don't like it up 'em sir!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

R Bailey said...

Looking at the safty plan you so kindly posted I can't see any propellors ?
Also unlikley there would be Fwd and Aft propellors, having one set running astern all the time would be very in-effiecent.
It there is propulsion at either ends more likly to be azipods.
More details please ;-)

p.s. American coastal barges have already done away with port and starboard and gone to left and right. Damm Rebels !

Grumpy Goat said...

Two sets of red and green lights is the obvions solution. Colregs say that Port and Creme de Menthe shall be shielded so they're not visible from behind.

All the driver has to do is to go up to what he considers the pointy end and to switch on the nearest set of red and green. When he goes to the other end for the return journey, he switches on the other set and they're switched so thay can't all come on togther.

I share R Bailey's comment that the whirly underwater fan things are probably on pods. I used to live in Portsmouth, and the Grotspot Ferry is a smaller arrangement of the same basic idea. Ask Immo.

The Rebellious Colonies can't even make up their mind what coloUr lateral buoyage should be. Red or green seems to depend on the salinity of the water.

The Yellow Box Of Doom said...

Have consulted Immo and, with a look of disgust, she asked "why on earth would I ever go on the Gosport ferry? It only goes to Gosport and I would NOT want to go there!!

Good to see the push-me pull-me ferry's have drummed up so much interest......but note it is all Engineer's getting excited ;0)

Grumpy Goat said...

Silly Immo: You use the Grotspot ferry to escape!