Saturday, September 13, 2008

Dive Site 3 Inand Sea

Inland sea....Mmmmm Yes. If Gozo where part of the UK and under UK law I would push for this to be investigated under trade descriptions. Its more like an inland puddle!! Granted, from teh photos I'd see before I went, taken by other photographers I was expecting great things:



Don't be fooled, the inland part of the inland sea is nowhere near this big, uless I happend to visit on a low tide, during a sevear drought on a neap low tide.....etc.

It is a puddle inland

Don't get me wrong here, the is probably one of my favourate dives I have done, and could happily spend a whole trip diving just this site and be happy, I just needed to get it off my chest about the puddle

Suffice to say that when I got there I was disappointed by what I saw.....or at least of what you can see at the surface. But then I didn't go on a dive holiday for what I could see at the surface, and once you go below the surface you find this is a BRILLIANT dive site, so moaning aside, here is the write up:

You can find the proper write ups elsewhere about how it is a geological feature in the limestone rock etc etc at such fonts of knowledge as wikipedia. But diving wise it is a fantastic dive every bit worth its reputation in the diving magazines and guide books. X X X

You start the dive in the Inland Puddle and swim across to the rock face, avoiding the tour boats zipping back and to. There is apparently a unwritten rule that the boats stay to teh right and the divers to the left in teh cave mouth, and it did seem to work. You then ascend at the tunnel entrance and inter a tunnel which started at about 6 or 7 m depth and sloped off to 27 m at the other side.

The tunnel passes through the rock face and brings you out on the seaward side of the island, where the seabed then drops away to 40ishm. However, we "Hovered" around the 27m depth, sometimes a bit above, soetimes a bit below and went along the rock face and back to the tunnel before swimming back thorugh and back into the puddle.


After de-kitting and packing up in the car park full of baking tourists (I'm glad George brought us here nice and early before the crowds got there) we then went over to feast on great cheese and ham rolls and coffee at the little coffee shop off to the left (as you look at the puddle). Highligh recommended....almost as much as the dive iself.

No comments: