Sunday, December 16, 2007

YBOD2 - The mobile smoker

As those of you who know me know that I was planning to leave the sand pit and head off to the Land of Opportunity. In preparation for this big move I did a bit of searching around and decided the car for me when I got over there had to be the that icon of Australian-ness....a VW Camper!!!

I did a whole load of searching on the net and through such excellent forums as aussieveedubbers and kombi connection and asked for help from the other forum members.......and through this end up at the door of Coast to Coast Kombis. I would like to say that I chose the Kombi but I'm sure you will agree given the bright yellow paint job this little baby really chose me:












The Kombi was under restoration and refit by Ian and so I was able to choose internal fit out.....which was dangerous.....as that involves my imagination kicking in!!!

Once Ian confirmed that mechanically the kombi was sound and excellent I unleashed my idea upon Ian - a mobile smoking lounge!!! We are talking (fake) chocolate brown leather upholstery and wall panels, (fake) wooden floor and for those special occasions a rock and roll sofa bed!!

When passed these ideas of C2CK were happy to go for it, but first wanted a 50% deposit...perhaps an indication of what they really though of my idea ;0)

C2CK did a grand job and produced for me the YBOD2 - mobile smoker:





















However, it wasn't all a rosey story...sadly I never actually left the sand pit and had to sell the project on. Thankfully C2CK were brilliant and found a new buyer for the YBOD2 and she is I understand now living in Queensland. She can be seen at C2CK's blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Glad to see you sold Kombi on-looks great in Photos. Thanks for KK mention -it is growing rapidly.

Regards
Brookie