Sunday, December 30, 2007

Tiger in my Tank

For those who know me you'll know I am a MAC lover (that's Apple MAC - not the flasher veriaty). And why do i love the MACs, afterall they are over priced by comparison to the PC. Simple reason - THEY JUST WORK!!

Now I am not a computer buff by any means, I know how to turn them on, I know how to type and I know how to check emails.......in fact I only know how to write this blog because the Grumpy Goat showed me how simple Blogging is through Blogspot. My brothers are both pretty whizzy with computers and I have frequently had conversations with them about MAC vs PC. Both being whizzes and loving tinkering with computers they really can't understand why on earth i would want something like a MAC which is taken out of the box and used in one way and thats it, whereas they prefer to tinker for hours just to get their sodding PCs just to start because it has so many in-built and inherrent 'glitches' and 'quircks' with the aim of doing nothing more than making a stupid penguin wiki'ing a word for them.

But to this I would answer, "If I wanted to by a dyson I wouldn't expect to be an expert in cyclone vortex theory, so why would I expect to need a degree in computer science juts to be able to turn on my PC".

Anyway, this isn't intended to be a rant about MAC vs PC. I recently made a purchase that at first impressions may appear a step backwards into the unnecessary heartache of PC ownership - I bought an eeePC.

But fear not, I had good reason for this - during my Christmas holidays away from the sand pit and back in blighty I got talking to my whizzy brothers and was shown Techy Spods new toy, the eeePC. Its very small, its very robust and, so i learn, can run MAC OSX......that was it, I was interested!!

Following a bit of reading around it seemed that while it was not completely straight forward (i.e. plug in and go) but was doable and sounded quite cool little project (although I am reliably informed that it is also far too anoraky to be admitting but hey ho). I therefore decided to buy Techy Spods eeePC off him to embark upon the project.

And with such an anoracky project I decided an anoracky blog should go along with it.....so in this blog I shall keep a record of what I've tried, what I've succeeded at and what I have had to throw away and start again.........which if all goes well will be a VERY short blog ;0)

So here goes - a technophobes first furry into the weird, nerdy and inherently dull world of computers.....wish me luck

Oh and by the way, for those not versed in the MAC thang - Mac OSX comes is the MAC operating system and comes in many versions. OSX Tiger was the previous incarnation, which has recently been upgraded to OSX Leopard. I opted for Tiger because its a bit older and therefore presumably more likley to be 'make workable'.

No comments: