Monday, October 12, 2009

Reasons to be Cheerful Part 1

No, this isn't a reference to that god awful ditty from the seventies or whenever it was.  It is in fact the start of what I suspect will become a VERY long list.  And the list is this:

I am in the later stages of arranging a new job in Australia and, all being well, will be leaving the sand pit for much fairer shores.  This is a fact that very much pleases me and fills me with alsorts of excitment, not least because it means I am finally moving on, only three years later than planned but moving on none the less. 




Now I'm not saying I havn't had a great time here in the UAE, because I have, I had some briliant adventures, met some great people and even ended up marrying one of them. However, I have sadly also met some awful people, seen some awful things and come across near pythonesce levels of loonicy.

I therefore thought I'd start putting together a light hearted list of reasons to be cheerful at about leaving Dubai - Here goes:

  1. I won't have to run the Dubai 10k next Janauary that a lovely friend arranged for me as a birthday present (for me, an avide lover of the coach!!)
  2. I'll probably miss my next turn on compressor duty at DSDC
  3. I won't have to take a few hours out of my weekend to drive to the middle nowhere to by beer because I don't have a license to buy it at over inflated prices in Dubai
  4. I will never have to get an Emirates Identity card as I'll be outta here before they are required!!

If you have any additional suggests dear reader feel free to leave them in the comments section and if I agree I'll add them.

1 comment:

Grumpy Goat said...

5. Risking arrest for holding hands with your lawfully wedded spouse.

6. Risking arrest for wearing jewellery if you're a bloke.

7. Risking arrest for riding a bicycle in Sharjah.

8. Spending $350k on a 'freehold' villa only then to be told that the promised visa has been changed to maximun six-month validity.

9. Rules that change depending on the wind direction, phase of the moon, skin colour of the applicant, logo on the applicant's passport...

10. The execrable Itisalot.