Monday, March 15, 2010

Full pint visitor.

I have found a pub that does pints!! Sorry, I normally start my posts with a bit more of a narrative that that before getting to the exclamation, but I'm afraid this was just too excitting a bit of news not to get straight to the point.

So the story, well a friend of ours from Dubai (yes ok, it's Alissar so maybe aquaintance ratherthan friend) was over in Sydney under orders to visit family with her mum.

Anyway, we met up at Circular key and went for a wonder, catching up and talking sh... Oh actually, I think my mum still reads this blog...... Talking rubbish, unroll we found an invitting looking bar and sat ourselves down. Now since being in Sydney I have long since given in to the fact that you can't get a proper pint in Australia. Being a lover of Real Ale, and room tempurature no fizz ale at that, I am fairly doomed on the contents of any glass here as it's going to be larger or something tasting distictly like larger even if it's name claims it to be bitter!! But notwithstanding the issues related to the contents of said disapponting glass I also have to tollerate the fact that I can't even get a PINT only a SCOONER. Now the Aussies are generally metric in most things they do I know, but I understand they used to maintain the wholesome noble and honable beer measure of a pint until relatively recently, and then had this part measure of a scooner for the less manly drinkers....presumably for the ladies. Well it seems now that just about every bar in Sydney sells scooners only.

But, joy of joys, the bar in question did in fact sell PINTS and so it was that I wondered back to out table with two mug handled good old pints of Coopers Pale Ale (and a diet coke for the pregnant co-pilot) and enjoyed this properly gauged and sized measure of what I have to admit is a rather nice summer beer (best or a bad lot anyway) so much that I decided to stock up on two more to keep it company.


Well I could have just one could I, you never know when they are going to run out of Pints and restock with Scooners!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhones

1 comment:

R Bailey said...

The Pale Ales are as close to a proper beer as you'll get :-(

Also try the German pub up in the rocks, might be called Oktober fest or something.
Big stiens, buxum serving wenches and a range of beers.