Friday, April 25, 2008

Roof Rack for Sale

I know its probably not the done thing to use your blog to sell stuff, but there is a story to go with it so hopefully you'll forgive me.

The roof rack in question in the the ARB full length roof rack. Details can be found at:

http://www.arb.com.au/arb-roof-racks.php


Or here is a picture of it fitted to the YBOD3


So whats the story. Well, the story is this. I bought the roof rack with the intention of sleeping up there during camp trips. I therefore bought the ARB rack becuse its 2.2m long so plenty long enough for me to lay out flat. So I fitted it, loaded up and set off to Oman for the grand adventure.

We arrive at turtle beach (Ras Al Had) and I set up the roll mats and sleeping bags and got the new bug and creepy crawls clear sleeping platform ready. Pleased with myself I presented my hand work to the Co-pilot and waited for the whoops of glee and pats on the back. However, I'll still waiting for them. Instead I got "You want to sleep where? I'm not sleeping up there!!" I explained the advantages of the elevated sleeping platform; up away from bugs and creepy crawlys, smooth and level etc etc.

However, following a very short 'discussion' of the matter 'we' decided that 'we' didn't want to sleep up there and that 'we' thought the whole roof rack was a daft idea. 'we' the agreed that I would get the tent out of the boot and set it up on the ground and 'we' would much preferred to sleep down there.

Added to all this, when we returned home from the trip it was discovered that the loaded roof rack didn't actually fit into the underground car park at the co-pilots place and as such would have to be unloaded in the street outside. In fact, even empty it could only fit in by an inch or so clearance below ceiling ducting....provided I drive by a certain route, and not the most direct route. I guess Emaar didn't plan for the YBOD3.....with a few inches of lift kit......and a loaded roof rack. I mean, honestly!!

Anyway, as a result of the intended use for the rack being removed, and the parking restrictions brought to light, I've decided to get rid of the rack to free up the cash to spend on alternative toys ;0)

I bought the rack just over a month ago for AED3,600 including the FJ Cruiser rails. I'm selling for AED1,800.

I can deliver to anywhere in Dubai (city not Emirate that is). Sorry can't do Sharjah any more as I don't work there any longer.

The rack will fit on any truck with a rack, or if you are lucky enough to own an FJ Cruiser then the supplied rails will do the trick. I'm afraid that despite six years here in the UAE I have not yet been able to adopt the local love of haggling. However, if you have a need to embrace this local custom then the price is AED3,000 and you can knock me down to AED2,500 and we can both feel happy.

2 comments:

hfichardt said...

Is your roofrack still up for sale.

Anonymous said...

Can you please call me . . I need a roof rack urgently and will pay cash. I need it to carry my Kayak.

Let me know

ashleykenneth@gmail.com

or 0506914024

Thanks